YWCA Tri-County Area is proud to announce our partnership with Your Way Home Montgomery County to provide eligible Montgomery County renters and landlords who have been impacted by COVID-19 up to 12 months of assistance for rent and utility bills dating back to March 13th, 2020.
Keeping People in Their Homes
“We know that many people across Montgomery County are still facing job loss and economic impacts due to the coronavirus pandemic,” said Dr. Valerie A. Arkoosh, Chair of the Montgomery County Commissioners. “We are extremely grateful to be able to open up another round of rent and utility relief to our residents as we begin our road to recovery.”
Assistance can be for past due rent and/or utility payments or future rent payments. Funding for security deposits, first and/or last month of rent is also eligible as part of the program. There is no financial limit on the amount of assistance a household can receive.
“Through this program we can provide housing stability to hundreds of low and moderate-income Montgomery County residents at risk of eviction and homelessness,” said Kenneth E. Lawrence, Jr., Vice Chair of the Montgomery County Board of Commissioners.
Eligibility Requirements for the Rent and Utility Relief Program
- Household must reside in Montgomery County at the time of application, AND
- One or more individuals in the household has qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the COVID-19 pandemic, AND
- The household can demonstrate a risk of homelessness or housing instability, AND
- Household must be at or below 80% of Area Median Income at the time of application.
Residents need the following items to apply
- A copy of a lease or proof of consistent rental payments at their address.
- Photo identification.
- An overdue rent or utility notice, if applicable.
- Current income documentation for all adults in the household.
- Proof of unemployment received or applied for, if applicable.
About the Emergency Rent & Utility Coalition
Your Way Home Montgomery County serves as the county’s unified and coordinated housing crisis response system for families and individuals experiencing homelessness or at imminent risk of homelessness.
Your Way Home Emergency Rent and Utility Coalition aims to
- Raise public and policymaker awareness of the needs of low-income and ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed) families and individuals in Montgomery County on the brink of homelessness due to poverty caused by a health crisis, job loss, pay inequality, underemployment and/or systemic racism.
- Advocate for more public and private funding for emergency rent and utility programs for both Your Way Home funded and independently funded service providers.
- Create a forum for emergency rent and utility service providers and funders to share resources, best practices, lessons learned and innovative solutions.
To apply for Emergency Rent & Utilities Coalition Program, please visit YWCA Tri-County Area – Emergency Rent & Utilities Coalition (ERUC) Program. We can help through these turbulent times.